The existing bridge structure was started in the 16th century but records suggest that a crossing point may have been since the late 1200’s. This seems to coincide with the formation of the Valle Crucis Abbey.
The present structure is usually attributed to John Trefor (Bishop of St Asaph
1346-1357) and is considered of the Seven Wonders of Wales. In 1863 plans were made for a new railway station which required lengthening the bridge at the North end to go over the railway line.